Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Stronger than Yesterday, Weaker than Tomorrow: Dillon Tighe, WR Arundel High School


 


By, Matt Alkire


Like many receivers, Arundel High School product Dillon Tighe has learned that it’s about more than just speed and having good hands. To even continue pushing the envelope and being amongst the best at your position you must not only sacrifice your body, but play and practice with your soul on the line as well. At Arundel, being a starting receiver has become more of a right of passage over the years than a simple changing of the guards as it would be at other schools.

This is most likely why the 6-foot, 185-pounder has lived by the phrase “stronger than yesterday, weaker than tomorrow” throughout his career. Tighe spoke about what those words have meant to him while playing for the Wildcats. 

“It’s a saying me and my buddies Romeo Harris that graduated last year had together,” Tighe said. “Essentially, we understood every day is another chance is to get better than the day before, but at the same time if we didn’t keep working harder the next day we were accomplishing nothing. That’s really the way I’ve approached my career as I’ve always felt like an underrated player that gets overlooked. In a way, I’m always proving to myself and others that I can play at a very high level.”

Tighe is from a high school that demands elite performance. The Wildcat offense pretty much re-writes the record books at will when it comes to passing in the State of Maryland. Alec Lemon – who will enter the NFL Draft this year – still holds the state receiving yards record. R.J. Harris attended New Hampshire and holds the state record in receiving touchdowns. Former Arundel quarterback Billy Cosh (Houston) held the state passing yardage record until it was broken just this year.
 

So playing with a chip on your shoulder isn’t taboo or frowned upon, it’s necessary and encouraged. Arundel is a team of aerial assassins who leave teams decimated in their wake. Tighe is just another outstanding receiver in their stable of college bound athletes.

“When you walk onto the team after players like R.J. and Alec you do have a ton of pressure to put up big numbers, but at the same time we’re all so different in our own way and it is about team success in the end,” Tighe stated. “We definitely put our receivers in positions to be very successful and exploit defenses. I’ve always been the guy to work the slot and outside and really find holes to move the chains and make plays with the ball in my hands. My teammate Tyler Young is our speed guy on the outside that we go to for big plays. Everyone has their job in our offense and that’s what it’s all about.”

When you watch Tighe in action, you can see a lot of positives in his game. Perhaps the most impressive thing about him is his hands. Tighe catches the ball away from his body, can handle high velocity passes and also corrals passes one-handed when needed. Arundel uses him mostly in the slot to create mismatches and he is a complete mismatch for opponents both in man and zone coverage. He does a very good job of reading a zone and hitting soft spots and sells his routes well, breaking off his stem late and forcing corners to flip their hips so he can simply whisk by them. When he gets the ball in his hands he also does a nice job of making people miss in the open field, however because he is such a good route runner right now he doesn’t need to do that too much at this point.
 
 
As for things to work on, Tighe could use a college training regiment. He needs to add muscle mass – especially in the lower body. That will help him become more explosive off the line and increase his top end speed. He could play inside or outside at the next level, but either way I’d like to see him become a more sudden athlete in every way.

After watching Ryan Burbrink work the slot at DeMatha High School years ago and go to Bowling Green where he’s been successful, Tighe is different, but offers the same type of weapon. 

Upper Hand asked him what he thinks his best qualities are as a receiver. At the same time, we looked for him to be critical of himself in what he could work on.

“I think I’m a very good route-runner that has great hands,” Tighe offered. “I’ve worked on my route-running for years and also take pride in my football intelligence in terms of reading what’s out there in coverage and reading where I might find a soft spot to sit. Another thing I do think I do a pretty good job at is making people miss with the ball in my hands after the catch with my ability to change directions quickly.”

“One thing I could definitely work on is trying not to make too much out of a play when I get the ball in my hands in the open field. I have a tendency to try and do too much at times. Getting in and out of my routes quicker and off the line with more burst is something that I want to work on as well. I’ve never been in a position to have to go up and get the ball before, so I definitely need to work on jump ball situations as well too.”

Frankly, not far off of our assessment as far as this young man is concerned.
 
 

Tighe has had a number of schools check in on him so far. He camped at Massachusetts, Penn State, Maryland and James Madison – among others. He has been receiving a good amount of attention from schools at the Division I-A and I-AA levels with quite a bit coming from the Patriot League because of his outstanding grades (4.19 core GPA, 1450 SAT).

He’s pretty specific in what he’s looking to do when he gets to school.

“While I’m undecided, I guess I am decided as I’d like to go into either Kinesiology or Political Science,” Tighe explained. “If I went the path of Kinesiology I’d like to be a trainer at the college level and with Political Science it leaves me so many paths in terms of both public and private sector work that I could do. Government really fascinates me.”

“In terms of the type of school, I’m not particular but I guess it would be nice to be closer to home. I’m not picky about weather or smaller things like that. It’s just about finding an atmosphere that feels like a second family to me really. I look for the type of coaches that can be somewhat of a father figure and that will talk to you and care about things other than just football.”

The prolific pass catcher has a pretty simple wish list actually – he broke it down for us.

“I just want an opportunity to prove myself at the next level. It really goes back to being felt a little overlooked, so I have that drive to get to the college level and keep driving every day to get better and prove myself every day by helping my future teammates.”

As a senior, Tighe hauled in 51 passes for 680 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also averaged 37.5 yards per kick return.


No comments:

Post a Comment