Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Mayhem Off The Edge: Tristin Freeman, LB Valley Forge Military Academy


By, Matt Alkire

Tristin Freeman was always a player that stood out in high school, but he absolutely exploded onto the scene on the biggest stage during his junior season – the state championship game. West Catholic was playing South Fayette led by highly touted signal caller and future Division I player Christian Brumbaugh and Freeman played a game for the ages.

Ask anyone who watched the 2010 Class AA showdown between West Catholic and South Fayette and simply mention No. 49 on the blue squad. Words like relentless, terrorizing and unstoppable will be thrown around. Freeman may as well have been a Greek God for those four quarters. He absolutely abused Fayette’s line, he pancaked their backs in pass protection and he sent Brumbaugh running for his life and forced so many errant throws that you started to feel sorry for the boys in green and white. It was truly one of the most dominant one man performances you’ll ever see in a high school game and while the Burrs rolled 50-14 to a championship, Freeman burnt his name into every recruiter’s brain that got that film or was at the game.

The hybrid pass rusher also brought home West’s first state championship ever.
 

“Words can’t even describe it because ever since I touched a football that was one of my goals,” Freeman mentioned. “I remember sitting there at the end of the game being on my knees crying I was so happy. It was just surreal. One of the biggest reasons I went to West was because I saw them play in the 2008 State Championship game and to get done what they fell a little bit short of felt great.”

Freeman ended his prolific high school career with offers from Army, Navy, Buffalo and VMI. His plan was to sign a letter of intent with the Naval Academy in February of 2011, but late in the game he found that his grades were not high enough. The 3.1 GPA he had been proud of only translated to a 2.5 core and his SAT was too low.

At that point, he scrambled to find a prep school.

“I didn’t know that I needed a 900 on my SAT to get into Navy until too late coming up to signing day, so I was unable to attend the academy,” Freeman said. “I obviously started to panic at that point and was just looking for a place to go so I could get my scores up because I realized that was the most important part of the process at that point.”

Freeman ended up at Valley Forge Military Academy, a program that has undergone many coaching changes over the past three years.

“When they approached me they had hired a coach who quit two weeks later, then hired another who just didn’t show up and finally the defensive coordinator Josh Sands was given the position,” Freeman explained. “I didn’t really worry about it because I had a school to go to and the coach isn’t why you go there, but obviously building a relationship with someone I didn’t know was new.”


Playing in a new scheme was also different. West Catholic mostly ran a 3-4 with Freeman mostly playing inside linebacker or a hybrid outside ‘backer/defensive end. In their 4-3 set, he always had his hand on the ground. At Valley Forge, the Trojans ran a complicated 3-5-3. Then toward the middle of the season, they switched to a 4-3 with stand-up defensive ends, showing more of a 2-5 look.
 
This is where Freeman really had to adjust, study the playbook and remain effective. He did just that, finishing his season with 85 tackles, seven sacks, eight pass deflections and a fumble recovery on defense while playing outside linebacker.

“It was definitely challenging at first, but I picked up on the concepts quicker than most, so I was able to help my teammates pretty quickly and help the unit get up to speed,” Freeman stated. “The rush linebacker position really put me back where I was in high school which is very natural for me, so I thought I fit best there.”
 

That is one thing about Freeman, while his 5-foot-11, 235-pound frame scare some coaches away period, he is a deceivingly good pass rusher off the edge, especially in a 3-4 as an outside linebacker. He also keeps a very low base, levels off well and is a terror off the tackles. As ridiculous as it is to compare a high school player to an NFL talent, his skill set isn’t far off from that of Elvis Dumerville. We’re obviously not comparing the two players, but Freeman certainly could put on an extra 20 pounds of muscle and that has been the first name that has come to mind – especially from having scouted him from his days playing for Louisville alongside Amobi Okoye and Montavious Stanley. He is short, but could definitely put his hand on the ground at the collegiate level and play defensive end for teams looking for a fierce pass rusher.

The North Philadelphia native also got a chance on offense at running back this season where he put up an impressive 520 yards and four touchdowns on only 95 carries, showing some extra athleticism. While he won’t play offense in college, putting up that production at a pretty elite prep school level is impressive in itself.


Freeman did talk about what he is looking for in a school this time around. He also now has an SAT score of 860 and is awaiting results of his third attempt which he thinks will improve on that.

“I want to go somewhere that I know I fit into, get a very solid education and that has great coaches,” Freeman offered. “Obviously I want to be put in a position to be very successful and help my team win games immediately as well.”

“Sports Management is a major I’d like to pursue, so an institution that offers that is definitely what I’m looking for,” Freeman added. “I have so many things that intrigue me for life after college and they just all come back to the game I love, so if that means being a scout, an agent or coming back to coaching that’s fine.”

Over his final two seasons for the West Catholic Burrs, Freeman registered 145 tackles, 60 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks, 13 pass deflections, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and intercepted two passes. He also returned one of the fumbles for a touchdown.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment