Friday, January 11, 2013

In Pursuit: Shane Simmons (DE) DeMatha Catholic High School


By, Matt Alkire


At just 15 years old, Laurel, Md., product Shane Simmons has accomplished a lot already in his short career. He recently came back from the U.S. Army All-American Game in San Antonio, Texas where he played in the Eastbay Youth All-American Bowl. He already holds offers from Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina. While in Texas, the US Army and All American Games named him the Dennis D. Cavin National Youth Football Player of the Year.

It is impressive that Simmons was the captain of the DeMatha Catholic High School freshman football team and that he led the team sacks, tackles and points scored. It is equally remarkable that the young man made the varsity roster as a freshman for the Stags and then went on to make an impact in the games that he played in, given that they’re traditionally a national powerhouse. But perhaps the most striking thing about this young man is that instead of letting things go to his head, he has remained surprisingly humble.
 
“I just work hard at what I do and whatever honors or offers come to me I appreciate,” Simmons stated. “It was the first time that they gave out this award, so it really meant a lot to me to be the first person to receive it. I was really humbled by it. As far as the offers go, it’s something I’m glad to be given, but my focus is on my school work and on my team at this point. I’m only a freshman, so those really don’t apply to me yet. It’s just really early in the process.”
 
Last summer, Simmons played for Team USA Football against Sweden and was also selected to play as an Eastbay All-American by FBU to play against Canada in the Alamo Dome which took place this past weekend.
 
“The team from Sweden had some really strong players and Team Canada was also really talented and it was just a great opportunity which I enjoyed,” Simmons said. “I have half of Team Sweden on my Facebook right now and we still keep in touch. They’re really into the NFL, so it’s cool to talk to them about it.”
 
 
In the offseason Simmons works out with ex-NFL player LaVar Arrington and also is a force to be reckoned with at Madden. His team of choice is the Washington Redskins with Ryan Kerrigan at defensive end under his control to his opponent’s demise.
 
“Coach Arrington works with me on my technique, my hands, speed, lifting … everything really,” Simmons added. Having such an outstanding teacher must bring some awesome benefits. We asked Simmons what wisdom Arrington passes down to him the most. “He really tells me it’s all about explosive movement, quickness and using your hands. I just focus on my movement skills a lot.”
 
This season he has a lot to look forward to at DeMatha.
 
“We want to win a championship this season and I have a lot of talented teammates, so as a group I think we’ll be able to accomplish that goal,” Simmons mentioned. “The older guys definitely help me out with learning the plays and a lot of the sophomores have been helping out a lot too. We have a young team, but we’re strong and everyone really gets each others’ back on and off the field.”
 
“Coach (Elijah) Brooks treats us like his own kids and always has our backs too. He’s really consistent with us at all times and I like that he definitely cares about every single one of his players on and off the field. I had gotten to know Coach Brooks before I came in and then when I got here this year I felt completely comfortable. He exposed me to my teammates, the high school and coaches and immediately made me feel at home and like one of the guys.”
 
It’s a bit odd to talk to Simmons having talked to thousands of young, elite players in my time covering football. Typically you get scripted answers that have been hand fed by parents or coaches or a sense of false modesty. With Simmons, you almost feel a comedic side to him on along with his acceptance that the skills he’s been blessed with are just that, blessings.
 
It was funny speaking to him about his two favorite NFL players.
 
 
“I love J.J. Watt because he’s just everywhere and is really fast for a big guy. He just brings a great physical presence to the game. Then there is Jared Allen who does all the same things as J.J. and on top of that, he’s got a great moustache – and you have to love a great moustache.”
 
We agree Shane, we agree. A quality moustache instantly strikes fear into offensive tackles.
 
One of the things I ask my players to do is self assessment and to be critical, not hold back. Often they do. Simmons was quick to offer what he thinks he does well and what he needs to get better at.
 
“I definitely think I’m quick off the ball and a swift player,” Simmons offered. “I’m loose in the hips and react to the ball really well. When I look at my game I really want to work on my speed and flexibility though. That’s something that I keep pushing when I’m with Coach Arrington in the gym.”
 
When scouting a freshman in high school most of the time you’re simply getting a gauge for a player’s upside, however Simmons is an exception. He already brings tremendous size to the table at 6-foot-4, 210 pounds and has a very long, lean build that you can see is going to continue to get bigger. Already off the edge, it is pretty apparent that the young man possesses the agility to be able to change directions quickly enough to stand up and play linebacker at the next level. He can open up his hips and does a great job in pursuit. I bring this up because while many will immediately file him as a 4-3 defensive end I think some teams will love him as an outside ‘backer in the 3-4 with his length and athleticism.
 
 
You see an arsenal of pass rush moves starting to develop from Simmons at an early age which is good. He’s pushing himself to learn and not just trying to get by on his natural gifts. Often times he simply overwhelms his opponent and flies into the backfield, but Simmons is generally under control and does level off and get to the quarterback. I like that he’s showing pretty consistent wrapping in his tackling. That’s one thing that seems to be out the door in football these days, especially with linemen. His ability to adjust and either have his hand on the ground or come out off the fly is a benefit as well.
 
Again, digging into a freshman for a hard opinion in terms of technique is tough. To state what is brutally obvious, Shane Simmons is an absolutely excellent athlete off the edge that really shows some special ability. The talent that sticks out most to me at this point is his capacity to redirect and explode without taking extra steps already. If he continues to add muscle mass and continues to be a quick-twitch athlete, the sky is the limit.
 
Breaking down what a 15-year old wants to do with their future can be tough, but Simmons has that figured out already. Frankly, we did have to laugh at the blunt nature of his answer.
 
“I think I’d like to major in Business and go work on Wall Street,” Simmons told us. We asked him what drove him to thinking about Wall Street and his answer was very simple, “money”. “I’d like to be a tycoon”, Simmons replied through the phone line in a tone where you could hear his smile.
 
As for the type of school the DeMatha product is looking for, it doesn’t sound like he is too particular. Simmons wishes to receive a good education in a diverse community that has a strong football program. He stated that he does prefer a larger campus and that distance won’t play a factor in his recruiting.
 
After viewing his film and getting to know Shane a little bit, we’re sure plenty of coaches will be glad to accommodate those wishes!






No comments:

Post a Comment