Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Colar Kuhns (QB): Calvert Hall College HS


By, Matt Alkire 

      The thought of premier competition may not enter the cerebrum of many when they hear Maryland and football in the same sentence, but if you travel out to watch Colar Kuhns play on any given weekend for the Calvert Hall Cardinals, prepare for an awakening.  The 6-foot-2, 210-pound signal caller leads his squad out of the locker room against some of the best in Maryland every weekend – teams like DeMatha, Gilman School, Dunbar and McDonogh – and he’s led them to eight victories as a junior so far. Next year they will be squaring off with another national powerhouse in Good Counsel. In fact, the school plays such competition that they’ve dipped into Canada and New York for rivalry this year. Kuhns has answered the call consistently.

   In his first season as a varsity starter Kuhns has led his teammates to an 8-2 record, posting league best numbers in the MIAA for total yardage (2,156). He’s completed a gaudy 71-percent of his passes and put 19 touchdowns on the board. All of this has been done against powerhouse teams, not interlopers of the football royalty that is the MIAA. One has to look deeper to see the young man under center and how he arrived where he is – focusing on his mindset – a unique one.

    A step from junior varsity to varsity is baptism by fire, especially at the quarterback position. It’s something that Colar Kuhns quickly diagnosed and passed up his demons with.

“The game obviously got so much faster when I stepped up to the varsity level because before I was so used to simply being better and having more talent, but now it’s a mental game,” Kuhns told us. “It’s about making proper reads and identifying the match-ups on the field that will give your team that advantage. You have to process that information on the fly, make quick decisions and strike.”


“Sometimes that has meant tucking the ball and taking off when I have running lanes this season or just having to give up the long ball and checking down,” Kuhns added. “It’s all about staying away from mistakes and taking what the defense gives you at certain points of the game. At the same time, I definitely do put the ball out there and trust my receivers to make plays. That’s something I’ll really do on my deeper passes. If I can get the ball in a good position for them to go up high and make a play on the ball I’ll do it – that’s a trust you have to put in your playmakers.”  

   Kuhns has done both this season and will push the ball down field. While he shows good ball placement on short and intermediate routes, there is certain a proclivity to get the rock downfield in one-on-one situations for his receivers on longer routes. His aforementioned scrambling ability has also made a huge difference in some key games, like when the Cardinals played powerhouse Gilman this season. Playing against Gilman, a team who had previously traveled to both Archbishop Moeller and then Don Bosco Prep – beating them on their home turf, Kuhns rushed for over 100 yards and a touchdown and also threw for 245 yards and another score. His team came up short, but he talked to us about both that game and how that opponent sticks in his head all season.

“Gilman is the team we want to face for the championship and that’s been it all season,” Kuhns explained. “You have to be a dual-threat when you’re in the pocket. Initially when I went into that game I was a bit nervous, but then I realized our job was just to win, not to prove anything. The name of the game is converting first downs and putting the ball in the end zone when we get in the red zone and we just didn’t do enough of that. They were dropping so many players that day that it gave me some holes, so I just had to move those chains when the opportunities came. Beating Gilman was all that mattered, so I used my feet to open up some later opportunities in the passing game. It was really a situation where we had to win at any cost.”

    While that game was certainly a setback, Kuhns felt it was a high point and a standout game for his offensive line that may lack size, but not fight.

“Our line is very strong in pass protection and does a great job creating a pocket. They did a great job at that against Gilman and then the next week against Spalding they plowed the road for the running game. They’re all fighters in the trenches and always with me, so I attribute a lot of our teams’ success to those guys.”




    Against Archbishop Spalding the Cards clinched a first round bye in the playoffs with a 27-7 win as Kuhns went 18 for 26 for 220 yards and two scores. Calvert Hall’s running game was also big in the affair and it sets up a potential rematch with Gilman in the playoffs.

“We really took care of business against a very physical team,” Kuhns said. “They’ve got a great quarterback, but our defense really handled him well. Our offense came together in a big way and put together some long drives and really controlled the clock. The final score wasn’t really a reflection of how well we played.”

    For a junior to step in under the bright lights and be so collected it’s not surprising for his nickname to be “Ice”. Kuhns is a young man who is very modest and frankly, doesn’t like to talk about himself much. One thing that does ring through about him is his passion for the game though. We asked him why he plays football.

“I love this game,” Kuhns stated. “I love being in a situation where the game is on the line, it is the last series and everything will be made or broken by what I do over the course of a few plays. That pressure, energy and adrenaline is what makes me thrive. If you can’t get pumped for those situations right there – you shouldn’t be playing football. If that doesn’t get you ready to get out on the field, you need to just put the helmet down. Also, it’s a means for me to continue doing something that I love while I get a great education that allows me to continue another passion in life.”

    Anyone who has been in college knows that the second passion may change over the next few years, but right now Colar would like to do something in the medical profession. He is part of the National Honor Society, carries a perfect 4.21 GPA and has thoughts of becoming a surgeon.

“I want to do something in the medical field. Right now I’m taking Honors Anatomy and Physiology and it’s extremely interesting to me. The study of how the human body works and reacts just fascinates me. One of my uncles is an urologist and the other is an optometrist, so talking to them I have always felt like it would be a good way to go. One of our teachers in school also makes it a bit fun too as he was in the Army as a combat trainer, so he teaches us some unique things about reflexes and anatomy as well that you may not learn in a textbook.”

    Speaking of uncles – Kuhns’ bloodlines don’t just go into medicine – they dip into college football royalty as well. His great uncle was a former Heisman Trophy winner, Notre Dame quarterback Johnny Lujack. While Mr. Lujack may not be able to take Colar aside and teach him some things in the backyard, other prominent quarterbacks have. Kuhns was named a top sophomore performer at the Under Armour Combine and has been invited to the Army All-American Combine in Texas this January.  Additionally, Kuhns was the only rising junior to be named onto the All-Madden team with Chris Weinke this past summer at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla.

“Coach Weinke has a lot of good insight. He helped me out a lot with my form and really drills the heck out of you on your footwork. He liked that my feet were quick, but wanted me to stop dropping the ball in my release and also talked a lot about making sure I was throwing with a proper base. IMG has talked to my father about the possibility of coming down to Bradenton, Fla., to play on the IMG Academy team which would be a big honor, but I would have to switch schools to do that and I just don't think it's in the cards. Again, working with Coach Weinke was so great for my development though.”

    Colar will continue to work with Chris Weinke and obviously the first step is an MIAA championship, but the focus will then be on schools. He told us briefly what he’s looking for.

“I’m really looking for a place where I can be myself and find a home away from home,” Kuhns expressed. “I’d like to find a coach that I relate to, can ask questions so that I can learn and get positive reinforcement from them. Finding that coach that will help you, but at the same time give you that constructive criticism is what I want. As for distance, I really don’t care. Feeling comfortable with my surroundings and coaches is really the biggest deal to me.”

    If the Calvert Hall signal caller continues on the path he has started finding suitors should be no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment